Using people as props

A rally was recently organized in Winnipeg in response to the Conservatives’ open courtship of what is too comfortably known as the “ethnic vote.” This strategy involves targeting voters in high-density ethnic communities that reside in specific ridings and is part of a Conservative media plan that was leaked in early March. Josh Brandon, a […]

Read more »

What are you being offered in the name of yoga?

Yoga is everywhere these days. In Winnipeg, it feels like there is a new yoga studio popping up on every block of every trendy neighborhood. This is not a big city, so yoga’s growing presence is easy to note. In an interview with the Manitoban’s Morgan Modjeski, Ian Whicher, a yoga practitioner and scholar who […]

Read more »

Starting a small farm

There is nothing more satisfying than eating a meal derived from plants you have grown yourself. Perhaps this is why so many people dream of starting their own small farms. These can be idyllic places of self-sufficiency and satisfaction. However, the weather, time and finances can all conspire to turn these dreams into frustration. U […]

Read more »

Don’t fear the shears!

cutting your own hair is tricky at best. Results can range from utter horror to sheer joyfulness. However, once you can master a few basic steps, you can mostly feel joyful about the results of your self-haircuts. The first time I cut my hair, it was on a whim. I was bored and impulsively took […]

Read more »

Let’s hear Moore about the environment

Thompson, Manitoba is getting a lot of press these days. As Vale Incorporated, the multinational mining company in Thompson, has announced the closing of the city’s smelter and refinery, it is estimated that at least 500 mining jobs will be lost. This figure does not include the jobs in other local industries that will also […]

Read more »

Saving Lake Winnipeg

Lake Winnipeg is the 10th largest lake in world, but given its size, it is also one of the least studied lakes in the world. This lack of scientific attention is changing as David Suzuki and The Nature of Things take on this troubled lake. Filmmaker Paul Kemp, who has spent his summers on the […]

Read more »

Merging theory and action for International Women’s Day

The University of Manitoba Feminist Collective consists of eight members. Dana Austman, Nadine Boulay, Kira Dickson, Irene Fubara, Tara Lambert, Chantel Paul, Jennifer Portillo and Bre Woligroski are all students in Feminist Community Organizing: Theories and Practices, a women’s and gender studies class at the U of M. In honour of International Women’s Day, these […]

Read more »

Meet the FAQ Collective

The FAQ Collective, consisting of Mylène Gamache, Jen Portillo, Tara Lambert, Raelene Foisey, Ryn Broz and Nadine Boulay, have worked together arduously to publish the second issue of the University of Manitoba Feminist and Queer Review (FAQ Review). The Manitoban recently had the opportunity to ask the FAQ Collective questions about their organization, their publication […]

Read more »