Graphic by Kailey Trevithick.

Canadian Oscar nominees: awesome Canadian cartoons

Canadian artists nominated for animation-related categories at the Oscars

The nominees for the 87th Academy Awards were announced in Beverly Hills, California on Jan. 15. American movie heavyweight favourites, such as The Grand Budapest Hotel and American Sniper, lead the nominations. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences acknowledged Canada’s contributions to the silver screen mainly in categories involving animations. Difficult families, […]

Read more »

Photo by Ian T.D. Thomson.

Jenna Rae Cakes

Have your cake, and eat it too

Now that our New Year’s resolutions have fallen to pieces, it is time to reunite with our beloved junk food and sweet eats. There are no better guilty pleasures than the various savoury sweets at Jenna Rae Cakes. With its storefront located at 580 Academy Road, Jenna Rae Cakes’ mandate is to “to provide Winnipeg […]

Read more »

Photo provided by Amber Bulchholz of Reyelle Photography.

Pistolwhips: guns a-blazing

Saskatchewan band tote live-ready debut album across Western Canada

Boasting a Saskatchewan brand of indie-rock and blues music, the Pistolwhips bring an energetic live show to the Cavern on Feb. 13. The Saskatoon-based band started back in the fall of 2010 as a collaboration between friends Rylan Schultz (vocals/guitar) and Zach Davies (bass). The original lineup of the Pistolwhips carved out a humble beginning […]

Read more »

New Music Festival; photo provided by Keith Levit Photography.

New Music and Big Fun festivals

2 winter festivals elevate fresh sounds of the local and the contemporary

As we find ourselves smack dab in the middle of an ice age, entertainment is key to maintaining both warmth and morale. Here are two unique upcoming music festivals happening in Winnipeg that are sure to take away your 40 below shivers.   Big Fun Festival From Jan. 28 to Feb. 1, Big Fun Festival […]

Read more »

Photo provided by Mat Kleis Photography.

Greek Riots: cavalier attitude

Meet the reigning kings of the UMFM charts

Five-piece Winnipeg band the Greek Riots bring a unique attitude to the genre of indie rock. After releasing their debut EP Cavalier in November of 2014, the band is looking to continue their musical outreach of heavy, energetic indie rock into the New Year. The band consists of Jacques Richer (lead vocals, guitar), Duncan Murta […]

Read more »

Photo provided by Mongrel Media.

Love is Strange

Film shares contemporary gay love narrative, makes its way to Winnipeg’s Cinematheque

When you live with people, you know them better than you care to” – Ben, Love is Strange. Love is Strange tells the story of Ben and George, a gay couple living in New York City. With its universal title, the film will be screened at Winnipeg’s Cinematheque throughout the month of January. After being […]

Read more »

Sobey Art Award: Canadian art landscape

Sobey Art Award exhibition featuring shortlisted nominees presented at the WAG

Since Nov. 1, 2014, the Winnipeg Art Gallery (WAG) has been hosting an exhibition of the nominees of the Sobey Art Award. Presenting the shortlisted artists for the award, the show will run until Jan. 25 and is the first time the exhibition has been held in Western Canada. The Sobey Art Award was first […]

Read more »

Photo provided by Ian Smart Photography.

Not so silent nights: holiday music events

Three holiday musical events to carry you into the New Year

With the holidays quickly approaching along with the obligations they entail, tracking down good musical events can be a daunting task. Here are three holiday musical events that will make the search easier and tide you over until 2015.   The Bison Men’s Chorus Annual Christmas Concert On Dec. 14, the University of Manitoba Bison Men’s […]

Read more »