Photo by Joey Senft.

Robot Invaders from the Death Galaxy

Winnipeg surf rock band the Thrashers release robotic new album

When it comes to blending retro aesthetic with robot invasion, no one in Winnipeg has the musical concept down quite like the Thrashers. Focusing their efforts on punk rock and roll, the Winnipeg trio is set to release their new album Robot Invaders from the Death Galaxy at the West End Cultural Centre on March […]

Read more »

Photo by Ian T.D. Thomson.

For what HITS worth

David Cross’ directorial debut premiers at Park Theatre, brings pay-what-you-want format

Log off of your Facebook and Instagram pages – HITS, a dark comedy film examining the social media generation, has its Winnipeg premiere at the Park Theatre on March 4. The movie presents a striking portrait of the need to be famous in the 21st century. Set in upstate New York, HITS tells the story […]

Read more »

Hari Kondabolu: making injustice laughable

Comedian brings edgy political humour to Park Theatre

Every comedian has his or her own style. Whether you are laughing at Louis C.K.’s cynicism, Seth Rogen’s Canadian stoner movies, or Hannibal Buress’s look at flawed modern trends, these comedians each bring a unique brand to their comedy. But when it comes to taking jabs at racial injustice and political science, no one’s comedic […]

Read more »

UMFM introduces 3 new student-run shows

KPOP, TV, and Bach, oh my!

Campus and community radio station UMFM 101.5 prides itself on bringing quality fringe content to Winnipeg listeners. Only a month into 2015, the station has greenlit new shows to carry the station boldly into the future. Here are three unique, student-run shows on air right now for your listening pleasure.   KPOP Season, Thursdays, 2-3 […]

Read more »

Graphic by Kailey Trevithick.

Canadian Oscar nominees: awesome Canadian cartoons

Canadian artists nominated for animation-related categories at the Oscars

The nominees for the 87th Academy Awards were announced in Beverly Hills, California on Jan. 15. American movie heavyweight favourites, such as The Grand Budapest Hotel and American Sniper, lead the nominations. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences acknowledged Canada’s contributions to the silver screen mainly in categories involving animations. Difficult families, […]

Read more »

Photo by Ian T.D. Thomson.

Jenna Rae Cakes

Have your cake, and eat it too

Now that our New Year’s resolutions have fallen to pieces, it is time to reunite with our beloved junk food and sweet eats. There are no better guilty pleasures than the various savoury sweets at Jenna Rae Cakes. With its storefront located at 580 Academy Road, Jenna Rae Cakes’ mandate is to “to provide Winnipeg […]

Read more »

Photo provided by Amber Bulchholz of Reyelle Photography.

Pistolwhips: guns a-blazing

Saskatchewan band tote live-ready debut album across Western Canada

Boasting a Saskatchewan brand of indie-rock and blues music, the Pistolwhips bring an energetic live show to the Cavern on Feb. 13. The Saskatoon-based band started back in the fall of 2010 as a collaboration between friends Rylan Schultz (vocals/guitar) and Zach Davies (bass). The original lineup of the Pistolwhips carved out a humble beginning […]

Read more »

New Music Festival; photo provided by Keith Levit Photography.

New Music and Big Fun festivals

2 winter festivals elevate fresh sounds of the local and the contemporary

As we find ourselves smack dab in the middle of an ice age, entertainment is key to maintaining both warmth and morale. Here are two unique upcoming music festivals happening in Winnipeg that are sure to take away your 40 below shivers.   Big Fun Festival From Jan. 28 to Feb. 1, Big Fun Festival […]

Read more »