Photo by Paul Wright.

Straight from the [White]horse’s mouth

Ontario rock duo brings looping madness to Burton Cummings April 24

Promoting their latest album, Leave No Bridge Unburned, the indie-rock couple Whitehorse takes their unique and expansive live sound to the Burton Cummings Theatre on April 24. Whitehorse consists of married singer-songwriters Luke Doucet and Melissa McClelland. While both were able to establish a presence as solo acts before and after their marriage in 2006, […]

Read more »

Photo by Angie Barnes.

Elephant Revival

Colorado quintet takes stage at WECC April 25

Combining elements of folk, Americana, and Celtic music is the Colorado quintet, Elephant Revival. On tour in support of their 2013 release These Changing Skies, the band will take the stage at the West End Cultural Centre on April 25 . Elephant Revival is a five-piece bluegrass outfit from Nederland, Colorado . The group formed in October […]

Read more »

Misc. circles

Local songwriter circle presents workshop at the WECC

Songwriting is not an easy process. Obtaining the necessary levels of musicality, rhythm, and sincerity in a song requires patience. This often leads to tedious and frustrating trial and error. In hopes of alleviating part of the struggle of the musical process, the Manitoba Independent Songwriters Circle (MISC) will be putting on a songwriting workshop […]

Read more »

Photo provided by the Winnipeg Art Gallery.

Cannes of commercial creativity

WAG screens encore of world’s best commercials

Thirty-second commercials fracturing your favourite sitcom may not spark your imagination. However, this does not mean aesthetically-driven commercials are completely absent from television. In hopes to provide Winnipeggers with a taste of more pleasing and artistically astute advertisements, the Winnipeg Art Gallery (WAG) is presenting an encore screening of the Cannes Lions International Festival of […]

Read more »

Graphic by Aldo Rios.

Lost Luggage

Writing contest captures travel experience, real or imagined

The event of travelling is a distinctive concept with many different variables. A unique story may arrive as one enters the airport, when one reaches the destination, or even on the return trip home. Travelling stories are relatable: we have all experienced frustration at an airport due to a delay or because of the security […]

Read more »

Photo credit to Claire D. Falgui.

Mid-Ocean’s 20

Manitoba’s sole audio production school celebrates 20th anniversary

The Mid-Ocean School of Media Arts (MOSMA), Manitoba’s sole audio production school, celebrates their 20th anniversary in 2015. Beginning in 1995 as a partnership between Doug Blakely and Carlos Vela, MOSMA offers lectures, mentorships, and workshops for individuals interested in developing skills in audio production. The idea of the audio school had humble beginnings with […]

Read more »

Photo credit to Travis Ross.

2015 Winnipeg Folk Festival Lineup Announced

From Magnetic Zeroes to classic folk heroes

On March 5, the Winnipeg Folk Festival announced the lineup for its 2015 event. Artists such as Wilco, Jenny Lewis, Arlo Guthrie, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Jose Gonzalez, Kurt Vile, Shakey Graves, and Bahamas will take the stage in Birds Hill Park in July. “With this lineup, we are honouring folk music by […]

Read more »

Photo provided by the Centre for Creative Writing and Oral Culture.

Storyteller-in-residence: Dovie Thomason

Indigenous storyteller offers assistance at U of M Centre for Creative Writing and Oral Culture

The imagination can run wild in the hands of a great story and its storyteller. Dovie Thomason—the current storyteller-in-residence at the University of Manitoba Centre for Creative Writing and Oral Culture (CCWOC)—focuses on sharing traditional indigenous tales. Beginning her tenure in January of 2015, Thomason will be available at the university until the beginning of […]

Read more »

Photo by Joey Senft.

Robot Invaders from the Death Galaxy

Winnipeg surf rock band the Thrashers release robotic new album

When it comes to blending retro aesthetic with robot invasion, no one in Winnipeg has the musical concept down quite like the Thrashers. Focusing their efforts on punk rock and roll, the Winnipeg trio is set to release their new album Robot Invaders from the Death Galaxy at the West End Cultural Centre on March […]

Read more »