Photo by Joe Bielawa

Jake Shimabukuro, ukulele extraordinaire

Multi-faceted Hawaiian musician to perform at Folk Fest

Although the ukulele may be a highly purchased novelty item for many 21st-century indie artists (Zooey Deschanel, for example), very few artists have utilized the Hawaiian instrument to its fullest creative potential like Shimabukuro. Shimabukuro is a Hawaiian ukulele virtuoso who brings a classic rock style to the peaceful, four-stringed instrument. Shimabukuro went viral on […]

Read more »

Photo by Janine Kropla

Hometown harmonies: Chic Gamine

Winnipeg-Montreal group take Main Stage at Winnipeg Folk Festival

While some bands have difficulty sustaining one good singer in their group, Winnipeg’s own Chic Gamine has made dynamic multi-vocal arrangements a seamless, yet integral, part of their sound. The five-piece group consisting of Andrina Turenne, Alexa Dirks, Annick Bremault, Sacha Daoud, and Benoit Morier has been able to blend aspects of old-school R&B and […]

Read more »

Graphic: Scott Ford

Smells like tree spirit

Researchers find the missing step to cooling effect in boreal forests

An international team of researchers recently found a missing link in one of the mysteries surrounding climate change. Published in the journal Nature, the study is able to fully explain why chemical compounds such as the sweet-smelling vapours from pine trees are able to buffer some of the effects of global warming in boreal forests. […]

Read more »

Ganges River at Rishikesh — Photograph by Fred Hsu

The spread of superbugs

Research shows the spread of antibiotic resistance genes along sacred sites in India

Researchers from Newcastle University, U.K., and the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, recently shed light on a growing health concern. Published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology, their research was able to detect an upward trend of antibiotic-resistant genes in water samples taken from locations along the Upper Ganges River. These findings imply, interestingly, […]

Read more »

As of 10 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 23 UMFM 101.5 has received $20, 592.60 in pledges! Help them close in on their goal of 24k by Friday evening!

UMFM show hosts talk radio

Tessa Vanderhart, co-host of Winnipeg Internet Pundits I’ve been doing Winnipeg Internet Pundits for two and a half years now, every Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. Basically we bring the best undiscovered political minds of the city together every week for a raucous debate on issues of city and provincial politics, with a healthy dose of […]

Read more »

Illustration by: James Culleton

Freeze!

Greenpeace activists may be charged with piracy following Russian oil rig protest

Conflict between Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) and Greenpeace International has been escalating over the past week, following environmental activism occurring in the Arctic. What started off as a peaceful altercation between the organization and an Arctic oilrig deteriorated into the detainment of several protesters with possible charges of piracy looming. The confrontation began between […]

Read more »

Illustration by: Heather Kat Cole

Beach party on the moon!

NASA-funded research detects lunar magmatic water

According to James Lovell, the command module pilot for the Apollo 8 mission, “the moon is essentially grey, no colour; [it] looks like a plaster of Paris.” On the same mission, lunar module pilot Bill Anders said it was “like dirty beach sand, [ . . . ] with lots of footprints in it.” There […]

Read more »

Illustration by: Beibei Lu

Boiled Alive

Findings suggest crustaceans experience the sensation of pain

Research presented at the International Ethological Conference, known as Behaviour 2013, in Newcastle, U.K. earlier this August has shown there may be more to crustacean nervous systems than previously known. Robert Elwood, a researcher from Queen’s University Belfast, announced at the conference that there is evidence that crustaceans, such as lobsters and crabs, experience the […]

Read more »

Graphic: Mathieu Boulet

Not as advertised: Horse meat scandal reveals cultural divide

Earlier this year a controversy surrounding the use of horse meat in beef products found across Europe dominated headlines. Although the story has since caused many companies in Europe to withdraw several products from the market, the scandal hasn’t incited any such reaction in North America. The story first came to light on Jan. 15 […]

Read more »

The sky is falling: Meteor breaches Russian atmosphere, asteroid passes by Earth all in same day

On Feb. 15 at 3:20 Coordinated Universal Time a meteorite exploded over the city of Chelyabinsk in central Russia. Travelling at a speed of around 18 km/sec (40,000 mph) when it broke the Earth’s atmosphere, the meteor created a shock wave that damaged several buildings and windows within Russia’s Ural Mountain region. The trail left […]

Read more »