Photo courtesy of Avery Stedman

SMRT: unconventional rap rhymes

Local hip-hop artist to perform at 2014 Harvest Moon Festival

As a local Winnipeg act, SMRT is not your typical rapper, nor does he wish to be described as one. The 22-year old Winnipeg artist proclaims: “SMRT is a rapper, big and small, little and tall, thin and wide, with a sweet inside, the apple of your eye, the twinkle in your star.” While most […]

Read more »

Graphic by Arden Hill

Shotgun Jimmie: loaded rock ’n’ roll

Canadian singer-songwriter takes Main Stage at 2014 Harvest Moon Festival

As a solo artist influenced by 1990s indie rock, Jim Kilpatrick, stage name Shotgun Jimmie, brings an interesting take to the singer-songwriter genre. Having released seven studio albums since 2004, this one-man rock ‘n’ roll act has received critical acclaim, including a 2011 Polaris long list nomination for his album Transistor Sister. Shotgun Jimmie’s last […]

Read more »

Photo by Joe Bielawa

Jake Shimabukuro, ukulele extraordinaire

Multi-faceted Hawaiian musician to perform at Folk Fest

Although the ukulele may be a highly purchased novelty item for many 21st-century indie artists (Zooey Deschanel, for example), very few artists have utilized the Hawaiian instrument to its fullest creative potential like Shimabukuro. Shimabukuro is a Hawaiian ukulele virtuoso who brings a classic rock style to the peaceful, four-stringed instrument. Shimabukuro went viral on […]

Read more »

Photo by Janine Kropla

Hometown harmonies: Chic Gamine

Winnipeg-Montreal group take Main Stage at Winnipeg Folk Festival

While some bands have difficulty sustaining one good singer in their group, Winnipeg’s own Chic Gamine has made dynamic multi-vocal arrangements a seamless, yet integral, part of their sound. The five-piece group consisting of Andrina Turenne, Alexa Dirks, Annick Bremault, Sacha Daoud, and Benoit Morier has been able to blend aspects of old-school R&B and […]

Read more »

Graphic: Scott Ford

Smells like tree spirit

Researchers find the missing step to cooling effect in boreal forests

An international team of researchers recently found a missing link in one of the mysteries surrounding climate change. Published in the journal Nature, the study is able to fully explain why chemical compounds such as the sweet-smelling vapours from pine trees are able to buffer some of the effects of global warming in boreal forests. […]

Read more »

Ganges River at Rishikesh — Photograph by Fred Hsu

The spread of superbugs

Research shows the spread of antibiotic resistance genes along sacred sites in India

Researchers from Newcastle University, U.K., and the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, recently shed light on a growing health concern. Published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology, their research was able to detect an upward trend of antibiotic-resistant genes in water samples taken from locations along the Upper Ganges River. These findings imply, interestingly, […]

Read more »

As of 10 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 23 UMFM 101.5 has received $20, 592.60 in pledges! Help them close in on their goal of 24k by Friday evening!

UMFM show hosts talk radio

Tessa Vanderhart, co-host of Winnipeg Internet Pundits I’ve been doing Winnipeg Internet Pundits for two and a half years now, every Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. Basically we bring the best undiscovered political minds of the city together every week for a raucous debate on issues of city and provincial politics, with a healthy dose of […]

Read more »

Illustration by: James Culleton

Freeze!

Greenpeace activists may be charged with piracy following Russian oil rig protest

Conflict between Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) and Greenpeace International has been escalating over the past week, following environmental activism occurring in the Arctic. What started off as a peaceful altercation between the organization and an Arctic oilrig deteriorated into the detainment of several protesters with possible charges of piracy looming. The confrontation began between […]

Read more »

Illustration by: Heather Kat Cole

Beach party on the moon!

NASA-funded research detects lunar magmatic water

According to James Lovell, the command module pilot for the Apollo 8 mission, “the moon is essentially grey, no colour; [it] looks like a plaster of Paris.” On the same mission, lunar module pilot Bill Anders said it was “like dirty beach sand, [ . . . ] with lots of footprints in it.” There […]

Read more »

Illustration by: Beibei Lu

Boiled Alive

Findings suggest crustaceans experience the sensation of pain

Research presented at the International Ethological Conference, known as Behaviour 2013, in Newcastle, U.K. earlier this August has shown there may be more to crustacean nervous systems than previously known. Robert Elwood, a researcher from Queen’s University Belfast, announced at the conference that there is evidence that crustaceans, such as lobsters and crabs, experience the […]

Read more »