Photo by Carolyne Kroeker

The campus, the community, and the music: UMFM 101.5

Three volunteers display the importance of the University of Manitoba station

The campus: Tom Woodward, At Large Student-at-large Tom Woodward is the host of one of the newer programs on UMFM 101.5.  Entitled At Large, Woodward hosts a musical variety show, airing Mondays from 2 to 3:30 p.m. “My show, At Large, is about many types of music that have been recorded from the 60s to […]

Read more »

Poster supplied by UMFM

UMFM Pledge-O-Rama 2014

Campus and community station’s annual fund drive returns

Mark your calendars. Your campus and community radio station, UMFM 101.5, is bringing Pledge-O-Rama back during the week of Oct. 17-24. With the goal of raising $28,000, the station needs your support during this annual fund drive to continue to broadcast music and talk radio of all varieties. The weeklong pledge drive, which first began […]

Read more »

Harp & harmony from Janelle Nadeau

Singer-songwriter releases These Roads at the WECC

While the classical harp may not be the most accessible instrument, it was singer-songwriter Janelle Nadeau’s passion at first sight. “My parents took me to the symphony when I was about three-years-old,” says Nadeau. “ It was there that I saw and fell in love with the harp. I then started playing when I was […]

Read more »

Photo courtesy of Avery Stedman

SMRT: unconventional rap rhymes

Local hip-hop artist to perform at 2014 Harvest Moon Festival

As a local Winnipeg act, SMRT is not your typical rapper, nor does he wish to be described as one. The 22-year old Winnipeg artist proclaims: “SMRT is a rapper, big and small, little and tall, thin and wide, with a sweet inside, the apple of your eye, the twinkle in your star.” While most […]

Read more »

Graphic by Arden Hill

Shotgun Jimmie: loaded rock ’n’ roll

Canadian singer-songwriter takes Main Stage at 2014 Harvest Moon Festival

As a solo artist influenced by 1990s indie rock, Jim Kilpatrick, stage name Shotgun Jimmie, brings an interesting take to the singer-songwriter genre. Having released seven studio albums since 2004, this one-man rock ‘n’ roll act has received critical acclaim, including a 2011 Polaris long list nomination for his album Transistor Sister. Shotgun Jimmie’s last […]

Read more »

Photo by Joe Bielawa

Jake Shimabukuro, ukulele extraordinaire

Multi-faceted Hawaiian musician to perform at Folk Fest

Although the ukulele may be a highly purchased novelty item for many 21st-century indie artists (Zooey Deschanel, for example), very few artists have utilized the Hawaiian instrument to its fullest creative potential like Shimabukuro. Shimabukuro is a Hawaiian ukulele virtuoso who brings a classic rock style to the peaceful, four-stringed instrument. Shimabukuro went viral on […]

Read more »

Photo by Janine Kropla

Hometown harmonies: Chic Gamine

Winnipeg-Montreal group take Main Stage at Winnipeg Folk Festival

While some bands have difficulty sustaining one good singer in their group, Winnipeg’s own Chic Gamine has made dynamic multi-vocal arrangements a seamless, yet integral, part of their sound. The five-piece group consisting of Andrina Turenne, Alexa Dirks, Annick Bremault, Sacha Daoud, and Benoit Morier has been able to blend aspects of old-school R&B and […]

Read more »

Graphic: Scott Ford

Smells like tree spirit

Researchers find the missing step to cooling effect in boreal forests

An international team of researchers recently found a missing link in one of the mysteries surrounding climate change. Published in the journal Nature, the study is able to fully explain why chemical compounds such as the sweet-smelling vapours from pine trees are able to buffer some of the effects of global warming in boreal forests. […]

Read more »

Ganges River at Rishikesh — Photograph by Fred Hsu

The spread of superbugs

Research shows the spread of antibiotic resistance genes along sacred sites in India

Researchers from Newcastle University, U.K., and the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, recently shed light on a growing health concern. Published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology, their research was able to detect an upward trend of antibiotic-resistant genes in water samples taken from locations along the Upper Ganges River. These findings imply, interestingly, […]

Read more »

As of 10 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 23 UMFM 101.5 has received $20, 592.60 in pledges! Help them close in on their goal of 24k by Friday evening!

UMFM show hosts talk radio

Tessa Vanderhart, co-host of Winnipeg Internet Pundits I’ve been doing Winnipeg Internet Pundits for two and a half years now, every Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. Basically we bring the best undiscovered political minds of the city together every week for a raucous debate on issues of city and provincial politics, with a healthy dose of […]

Read more »