Photo provided by Mongrel Media.

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

Successful Swedish film makes its way to Cinematheque

“If you want to kill me, you better hurry, because I’m a hundred years old” – Allan Karlsson. Best-selling Swedish novel The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared tells the tale of centenarian Allan Karlsson and his wild travels outside his retirement home. With a Swedish film adaptation of the same […]

Read more »

Photo credit to Steve Gullick.

Musical rewiring: Cold Specks

Soul singer-songwriter experiments with sophomore album, Neuroplasticity

Hailing from Toronto, Al Spx—better known as Cold Specks— expands the possibilities of what a singer-songwriter can be. Coinciding with the release of her second album, Neuroplasticity,on Aug. 26 of this year, Spx and her five-piece band will be performing her soulful music at the Park Theatre on Nov. 30. Cold Speck’s debut album, I […]

Read more »

Photo credit to Ian T.D. Thomson.

30 years worth of Rumor’s

Winnipeg comedy club celebrates anniversary with four nationally renowned comics

There is nothing inherently funny about Winnipeg. Apart from being the butt of jokes regarding our cold winters, rarely do Winnipeggers have much to laugh about. Rumor’s has always been the exception to the rule. In celebrating its 30th anniversary in Winnipeg, Rumor’s Restaurant and Comedy Club will be hosting a concert series on Nov. […]

Read more »

ACTRA: Diversity is our Strength

Two Winnipeg filmmakers winners at national diversity committee’s film competition

On Oct. 17, ACTRA, the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists, announced the winners for their national diversity short film competition. Two out of the four winners are Manitoba filmmakers Alan Wong and Fernando Dalayoan. The Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists is a union representing over 22,000 performers within English-language […]

Read more »

Photo credit to Lauren Siddall.

“A classic Shakespearean tragedy”: Titus Andronicus

The Black Hole Theatre brings violent tragedy Titus Andronicus to stage for first time in Winnipeg theatre history

“Vengeance is in my heart, death in my hand, blood and revenge are hammering in my head” – Titus Andronicus, 2.3.38-39 With Halloween in the past, the latest production at the Black Hole Theatre Company is giving you one more reason to be entertained by death and gore with the classic Shakespearian tragedy Titus Andronicus. […]

Read more »

Folk Fest in the City

Winnipeg Folk Festival to host third annual fundraising gala for community programs

While the 2015 Winnipeg Folk Festival still seems like ages away, the Winnipeg Folk Festival non-profit organization remains active. Holding their annual fundraising gala, Folk Fest in the City, on Nov.. 21 at the Fairmont, the organization hopes to raise funds and awareness for their community programs in Winnipeg. Going into its third year, the […]

Read more »

Photo taken by Natasha Ross

Indoor comforts and foodie opportunities

Knox Community Kitchen re-opens indoor market every other Friday

While the weather outside may be getting frightful, the Knox Community Kitchen is hoping to make the fall and winter months a little more delightful. Having re-opened its indoor market on Oct. 17, the community kitchen hopes to bring a diverse lineup of food and entertainment to every second Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 […]

Read more »

Photo credit to Norman Wong

New name, new music: Dan Mangan + Blacksmith

Canadian indie rocker returns with psychedelic single and 2015 ambitions

After two years out of the spotlight, Indie rocker Dan Mangan returns to the public eye, bringing a six-piece band along for the ride. Releasing a music video for their new single “Vessels” on October 21,Dan Mangan and the band have high hopes for the upcoming year–. They are releasing their new album Club Meds […]

Read more »

Photo by Carolyne Kroeker

The campus, the community, and the music: UMFM 101.5

Three volunteers display the importance of the University of Manitoba station

The campus: Tom Woodward, At Large Student-at-large Tom Woodward is the host of one of the newer programs on UMFM 101.5.  Entitled At Large, Woodward hosts a musical variety show, airing Mondays from 2 to 3:30 p.m. “My show, At Large, is about many types of music that have been recorded from the 60s to […]

Read more »