Photo taken by Natasha Ross

Indoor comforts and foodie opportunities

Knox Community Kitchen re-opens indoor market every other Friday

While the weather outside may be getting frightful, the Knox Community Kitchen is hoping to make the fall and winter months a little more delightful. Having re-opened its indoor market on Oct. 17, the community kitchen hopes to bring a diverse lineup of food and entertainment to every second Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 […]

Read more »

Photo credit to Norman Wong

New name, new music: Dan Mangan + Blacksmith

Canadian indie rocker returns with psychedelic single and 2015 ambitions

After two years out of the spotlight, Indie rocker Dan Mangan returns to the public eye, bringing a six-piece band along for the ride. Releasing a music video for their new single “Vessels” on October 21,Dan Mangan and the band have high hopes for the upcoming year–. They are releasing their new album Club Meds […]

Read more »

Photo by Carolyne Kroeker

The campus, the community, and the music: UMFM 101.5

Three volunteers display the importance of the University of Manitoba station

The campus: Tom Woodward, At Large Student-at-large Tom Woodward is the host of one of the newer programs on UMFM 101.5.  Entitled At Large, Woodward hosts a musical variety show, airing Mondays from 2 to 3:30 p.m. “My show, At Large, is about many types of music that have been recorded from the 60s to […]

Read more »

Poster supplied by UMFM

UMFM Pledge-O-Rama 2014

Campus and community station’s annual fund drive returns

Mark your calendars. Your campus and community radio station, UMFM 101.5, is bringing Pledge-O-Rama back during the week of Oct. 17-24. With the goal of raising $28,000, the station needs your support during this annual fund drive to continue to broadcast music and talk radio of all varieties. The weeklong pledge drive, which first began […]

Read more »

Harp & harmony from Janelle Nadeau

Singer-songwriter releases These Roads at the WECC

While the classical harp may not be the most accessible instrument, it was singer-songwriter Janelle Nadeau’s passion at first sight. “My parents took me to the symphony when I was about three-years-old,” says Nadeau. “ It was there that I saw and fell in love with the harp. I then started playing when I was […]

Read more »

Photo courtesy of Avery Stedman

SMRT: unconventional rap rhymes

Local hip-hop artist to perform at 2014 Harvest Moon Festival

As a local Winnipeg act, SMRT is not your typical rapper, nor does he wish to be described as one. The 22-year old Winnipeg artist proclaims: “SMRT is a rapper, big and small, little and tall, thin and wide, with a sweet inside, the apple of your eye, the twinkle in your star.” While most […]

Read more »

Graphic by Arden Hill

Shotgun Jimmie: loaded rock ’n’ roll

Canadian singer-songwriter takes Main Stage at 2014 Harvest Moon Festival

As a solo artist influenced by 1990s indie rock, Jim Kilpatrick, stage name Shotgun Jimmie, brings an interesting take to the singer-songwriter genre. Having released seven studio albums since 2004, this one-man rock ‘n’ roll act has received critical acclaim, including a 2011 Polaris long list nomination for his album Transistor Sister. Shotgun Jimmie’s last […]

Read more »

Photo by Joe Bielawa

Jake Shimabukuro, ukulele extraordinaire

Multi-faceted Hawaiian musician to perform at Folk Fest

Although the ukulele may be a highly purchased novelty item for many 21st-century indie artists (Zooey Deschanel, for example), very few artists have utilized the Hawaiian instrument to its fullest creative potential like Shimabukuro. Shimabukuro is a Hawaiian ukulele virtuoso who brings a classic rock style to the peaceful, four-stringed instrument. Shimabukuro went viral on […]

Read more »

Photo by Janine Kropla

Hometown harmonies: Chic Gamine

Winnipeg-Montreal group take Main Stage at Winnipeg Folk Festival

While some bands have difficulty sustaining one good singer in their group, Winnipeg’s own Chic Gamine has made dynamic multi-vocal arrangements a seamless, yet integral, part of their sound. The five-piece group consisting of Andrina Turenne, Alexa Dirks, Annick Bremault, Sacha Daoud, and Benoit Morier has been able to blend aspects of old-school R&B and […]

Read more »

Graphic: Scott Ford

Smells like tree spirit

Researchers find the missing step to cooling effect in boreal forests

An international team of researchers recently found a missing link in one of the mysteries surrounding climate change. Published in the journal Nature, the study is able to fully explain why chemical compounds such as the sweet-smelling vapours from pine trees are able to buffer some of the effects of global warming in boreal forests. […]

Read more »