Phancy rhythms: Phantogram

New York band tours Canada, plays Garrick Centre’s Jingle Bell Rock

Crack out the eggnog and get out your dancing shoes. On Dec. 9, electronic-rock duo Phantogram will bring holiday joy to the Garrick Centre as part of the Union event series, Jingle Bell Rock. Phantogram is composed of Josh Carter and Sarah Barthel, two artists from Saratoga Springs, New York. Formed in 2007, the duo […]

Read more »

Photo provided by Charles Johnston.

Mynarski unveiled

New bronze monument commemorates WWII Pilot Officer Andrew Mynarski VC

During the week of Remembrance Day, an exclusive preview of the Andrew Mynarski bronze monument was revealed at the Frame Arts Warehouse. The bronze sculpture was created by local artist Charles Johnston in commemoration of the valour of Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Pilot Officer Andrew Charles Mynarski VC. Mynarski was born in 1916 to […]

Read more »

Photo by Ian T.D. Thomson.

The late, great Salvador Dalí

Winnipeg Art Gallery exhibits later work of 20th-century surrealist

n Nov. 15, the Winnipeg Art Gallery (WAG) presented a lecture by Elliot King, an art historian and expert on surrealist artist Salvador Dalí. Part of the WAG’s ongoing exhibit, Dalí Up Close, King’s lecture focused on the last four decades of Dalí’s career, examining the time after Dalí removed himself from the surrealist movement […]

Read more »

Photo provided by Mongrel Media.

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

Successful Swedish film makes its way to Cinematheque

“If you want to kill me, you better hurry, because I’m a hundred years old” – Allan Karlsson. Best-selling Swedish novel The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared tells the tale of centenarian Allan Karlsson and his wild travels outside his retirement home. With a Swedish film adaptation of the same […]

Read more »

Photo credit to Steve Gullick.

Musical rewiring: Cold Specks

Soul singer-songwriter experiments with sophomore album, Neuroplasticity

Hailing from Toronto, Al Spx—better known as Cold Specks— expands the possibilities of what a singer-songwriter can be. Coinciding with the release of her second album, Neuroplasticity,on Aug. 26 of this year, Spx and her five-piece band will be performing her soulful music at the Park Theatre on Nov. 30. Cold Speck’s debut album, I […]

Read more »

Photo credit to Ian T.D. Thomson.

30 years worth of Rumor’s

Winnipeg comedy club celebrates anniversary with four nationally renowned comics

There is nothing inherently funny about Winnipeg. Apart from being the butt of jokes regarding our cold winters, rarely do Winnipeggers have much to laugh about. Rumor’s has always been the exception to the rule. In celebrating its 30th anniversary in Winnipeg, Rumor’s Restaurant and Comedy Club will be hosting a concert series on Nov. […]

Read more »

ACTRA: Diversity is our Strength

Two Winnipeg filmmakers winners at national diversity committee’s film competition

On Oct. 17, ACTRA, the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists, announced the winners for their national diversity short film competition. Two out of the four winners are Manitoba filmmakers Alan Wong and Fernando Dalayoan. The Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists is a union representing over 22,000 performers within English-language […]

Read more »

Photo credit to Lauren Siddall.

“A classic Shakespearean tragedy”: Titus Andronicus

The Black Hole Theatre brings violent tragedy Titus Andronicus to stage for first time in Winnipeg theatre history

“Vengeance is in my heart, death in my hand, blood and revenge are hammering in my head” – Titus Andronicus, 2.3.38-39 With Halloween in the past, the latest production at the Black Hole Theatre Company is giving you one more reason to be entertained by death and gore with the classic Shakespearian tragedy Titus Andronicus. […]

Read more »

Folk Fest in the City

Winnipeg Folk Festival to host third annual fundraising gala for community programs

While the 2015 Winnipeg Folk Festival still seems like ages away, the Winnipeg Folk Festival non-profit organization remains active. Holding their annual fundraising gala, Folk Fest in the City, on Nov.. 21 at the Fairmont, the organization hopes to raise funds and awareness for their community programs in Winnipeg. Going into its third year, the […]

Read more »