Daniela Smith-Fernández

From a distance

The short stories in Michelle Berry’s collection, I Still Don’t Even Know You, present the same kind of perspective on people that you get by…

Keeping with how stories work

Writer Thomas King once said “the truth about stories is that that’s all we are,” and literally, that’s true. Human culture exists only because of…

Letting the big ones get away

Somewhere in the last quarter of the 20th century, between the fuel shortage crises, global warming and the irreversible devastation of fragile ecosystems as the…

It’s not me, it’s you

{ The pair sits facing each other in a neutral public place. The novel is Dance with Snakes by Horacio Castellanos Moya, translated from Spanish…

Just turn off your cellphone

Advice for people going to see Headspace: you should probably turn off your cell-phones. If it goes off, neither the actors nor the audience will…

Hands-on and Hyperlinked

When asked about his latest work, Headspace, playwright and U of M theatre alumni Mike Bell described it as a “play that feels like a…

The Realest

Walking through Kristjana Wood’s exhibition is much like going through a nature interpretation center or an aquarium. These exquisitely rendered paintings each focus on a…

The actual food of love

Imagine a scene where a couple is seated at a table. They stare into each other’s eyes. All that tragic misunderstanding is behind them, and…

The single socks club

Whatever happens to the socks that get left behind? One day they are part of a pair, and then the next, one goes missing. Lost…