Bison soccer trample Cougars, get steamrolled by Griffins

Powerful kick from Sara MacLennan #2. Photo by Chantal Zdan

This past weekend, the Bisons women’s soccer team played host to the Mount Royal Cougars and the Grant MacEwan Griffins. Manitoba rolled over the Cougars 3-0 on Saturday after an impressive second half showing. The Bisons were then on the receiving end of a 3-0 score line on Sunday against the Griffins.

Manitoba moves to 3-4-1 and sits in fourth place in the Prairie division.



The Bisons were looking to rebound after their resounding loss the week prior in Calgary. Forward Selina Speranza got the herd their first good look of the game after she took the ball away from a Cougars defender and attempted to catch the goalkeeper off with a chipped shot that went just over the bar.

Ten minutes later, midfielder Amanda Wong fed a beautiful backheel to Alanna Shaw, who had her shot go wide from just inside the 18-yard box. The Cougars were not much of a threat in the first half, not generating too many chances. The two teams went into the half in a 0-0 deadlock.

The Bisons got their breakthrough 10 minutes into the second half after Speranza and Wong combined to get the Bisons their much-deserved lead. Manitoba continued their pressure after the goal, hemming in the Cougars into their own half with some good pressing.

In the 78th minute the Bisons put the nail in the coffin of the Cougars when third year forward Camille Plett slotted home after a Bison corner. Manitoba added insult to injury when fullback Sara MacLennan had her shot bounce over the keeper and into the back of the net from about 45 yards out.

Head coach Vanessa Martinez Lagunas talked postgame about the Bisons’ performance.

“I think we started off really well, creating a lot of chances. Our only problem was that we didn’t put it in,” she said. “In the second half we got that first goal which was crucial and we just started playing our game.”



It was a different game for the Bisons on Sunday. Riding the high of their big victory on Saturday, they quickly came down to earth against Grant MacEwan. The Griffins struck first in the 33rd minute through Suekiana Choucair, one of her seven shots on target on the day.

Grant MacEwan doubled their lead a couple minutes later when midfielder Mia Fornelius found the back of the net from the middle of the box. The Bisons went into the halftime break down 2-0 with things looking bleak.

The Bisons tried to equalize but were unable to in the second half with the Griffins continuing to pour on the pressure. Manitoba got a few opportunities through Speranza at the hour mark but just could not find the back of the net.

In the 74th minute, the Griffins put the Bisons away for good when striker Samantha Gouveia got on the end of a beautiful ball and slotted past Maddie Wilford. Wilford played admirably in the loss, making 12 saves on the afternoon.

The Bisons have a short rebound as they take on crosstown rivals Winnipeg on Oct.6 in the Duckworth Challenge at Investors Group Field.